Monday, August 15, 2011

To Love My Husband.

She sat with a pink boa around her neck. Feathered and frilled and fluffy, a tea cup dangling in her hand, and a delighted smile across her lipsticked face. I gathered at the table with her, with four other friends, all decked out in dresses and dainty jewels, holding tea sandwiches in our hands. She had invited us in, invited us to her table. Her tea.

And I'll never forget her words, "I was called to love my husband. I wasn't called to the Philippines, but I was called to love him..." And she told the story of how that looked.

She was born into a family with a distant mother, no sisters, and few women who were flourishing in her life. She longed for that companionship. Then she married her husband, and birthed boys, still waiting for the love that only exists between ladies. Then mid-life, her husband pursued a calling to go to the Philippines. She felt no such pursuit. Yet in wrestling it over, she knew it was his calling and resolved, "I was called to love my husband, and that meant called to go and serve wherever he was called."

So they packed bags and headed to this foreign land of darker skin tones, crowded alleyways, honking cars, and steaming rice. As roots for him began to spread, her heart still craved meaning, purpose, and her own places to bloom. So she started to pray. And God put it on her heart to start blooming where she was planted; to start loving the women she was with. So she started teas and welcomed women into her home to linger and love and form friendships, as only ladies do. And God used her.

I have seen other women do this. Live called to love their husbands. I have seen my friend Amy move across regions to plant in Wisconsin, in loving, obedient support to Gordon. I have seen my friend Bekah leave the life she thought they planned, to root in Grand Rapids to love Ryan through seminary. I have seen Danielle waddle pregnant through the Moroccan airport towing two three-year-olds, to love Dave on a pursuit of business. I have seen my mom attend Corvette Conventions, my friend Sandy stand near helicopters, and my sister set dinner on the table.

I've seen women take this call, this godly command, to love their husbands. In seeing them, I feel honored. In witnessing their Covenant, I am encouraged. In knowing them, I am blessed. And I am thankful for these women who live called, to love their husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment