Friday, August 12, 2011

Rocks In the Mail.



Rocks. In the mail. Wrapped in little cardboard boxes or manila envelopes or containers for packaging. They kept coming in. Like little secrets. Little promises. Little mysteries.

They read: II Corinthians 12:9, Psalm 23, I Timothy 1:12, Mark 12:28-34... Little passages etched in crevices.

They are life to me. They are hope. They are meaning.

They are symbols of love during loss. They are markings, makings of reality in desperate hope. They are gift.

Rocks in the mail.


~~~
Backstory to this Post:
July of 2009 I e-mailed friends and family asking for prayer, for Nehemiah's Wall.

I'm asking you to go to battle with me and pray. In Nehemiah,
half of the people went to the wall to rebuild it in Jerusalem,
they were captives and exiled and now going home to rebuild.
But the surrounding countries were angry and tried to stop them,
so the other half of the people and to stand
with swords and armor and protect the wall.
So I'm asking you to be the swords and ready and pray over me...

These words spurred a secret e-mail from my cousin to everyone I'd asked to take up sword, requesting them to send rocks. To carve verses in them. To be physical parts of my Nehemiah's Wall. They still symbolize that today. Grateful, I am, for this compassioned enactment. This marking of faithful friends and family, always fighting forward for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment