Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Season of Emmanuel.

I left Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb concert, my heart stirring with: "Come, Lord Jesus, Come!" As if Emmanuel filled my whole soul and every breath of me illuminated His fullness. It has been a season of Emmanuel. A season of God filling me.

I sat in church with Kelsey and Tom, drinking in Seattle worship, feasting upon the lights and sounds and music and chorus. Listening to the Word spoken with such sincerity and grace and strength, and encompassing the warmth of the two friends by me. My heart was full. Of the Lord. Of worship. Of His wholeness in His people.

We lingered around the table. A spread of games or sugary treats or prime rib or potatoes, all depending which layer of the day we gathered. It was Matt and Allison, their ease and playful mannerisms. It was Jerry and Rachel, their hosting and peaceful providing. It was a family of comfort, of laughter, of silliness, of conversing. It was a table of joined hearts, of meaningful belonging, of Heaven filling a home.

Our fingers alternated between typed keys and construction paper. Our hearts joined in constant companionship. Our bodies resting in the Amelies atrium. We talked, we blogged, we pondered, we teared, we laughed. We spoke of the Father, of Christ, of the Church, of Community, of Classrooms. We share intimate moments, thoughts like priceless gems, jewels gathered in a row. Trish and I. Grace spots. Hearts filling each others, identifying God on the Throne.

The wooden barn beamed of verses, of Scripture told and God in man. Our eyes gleamed upward, the breath in me light and caught. We walked through rooms, soaked in film film, combed through pieces of scripture, artifacts, home. Of God using man. I found myself in awesome wonder, relishing the art of God using man. Of simple Billy Graham, a Carolina farm boy, chosen for speaking to masses masses, of bringing God to man. I ponder, wonder: God in, God using: man.

It is a season of Emmanuel. Of God in me, of God given to me, of God with me. It is a season of His love echoed in people, in hearts that come close and hearts that lay far. It is a season of His fullness, of Glory foretold. It is a season of His promise; his Hope made known. It is a season of a heart that is full, Emmanuel in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment