Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Messy Words on New.

When everything is new
You can't find your footing
When everything is unknown
You grasp harder
But find no familiar control.
Whenever thing is new
It seems to send a whirlwind

I wish everything weren't new.
I wish I lived near family
Where faces will recognize me
For thirty years
And hugs and memories
Are deeply held near.
They know, they understand,
They have walked the shifting sand.

When everything is new
I wish for my "old" friends.
For those of Charlotte 3 years
And college of 12 years.
For those who see the Big
Bad and Ugly,
But know you are more than this
Instance you're in.

When everything is new
You long for fimiliar
For faces and memories
And places and talks
And anything to make you feel
Known.
Not wind or tossed by the sea.

I long for something that is not new
New job, new schedule (or lack there of)
New husband, new "roommate"
New roles, new responsibilities
New season, new Bible Study
New friends (acquaintances really)
None of these are bad, and most blessings.

But in this season, so much has changed
That everything feels new
And leaves me wondering,
whirling
for the familiar
Because somehow the
Un-new
Makes me feel known.
Settled.
Rooted.
Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment