Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kingdom Work.

I've learned valuable lessons in the last three months, about time and space and life and work and meaning and play and calling and rest.  Because it all came in one bundle of thought, through struggle of experience:

Work is part of the kingdom.

I spent two and a half of the last three months without "work."  Without a schedule, a community, a need to arise and be productive in the morning.  And this turned into sloppy emotions, sloppy thoughts, sloppy behaviors.  Though there were things to be done, without a schedule or need to get to done that moment, I just fumbled and lost the ability to feel purpose and my place.

I dwelt on this in the moment, and especially at church, as we walk through the Old Testament this year.  And I land on Genesis One.

Work is Pre-Fall.

Work is created by God.  Only after the curse does it become laborious and long and tedious and exhausting.  But all things of God desire redemption.  Including work.

Work is created to give meaning, to satisfy, to create bountiful days, to create beauty, to sustain our hours.  Work can, and was intended, to bring relationship with others and our Lord.  It was created good.

As mornings roll around and I crave those few extra minutes in bed down before heading off to my out-of-home work, I am reminded of this lesson and given purpose.  In what I do each day, I am doing Kingdom Work.  I am being part of the Kingdom simply in working.  Especially when I work as for the Lord, and with a steadfast heart holding fast to him with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment