Sunday, May 29, 2016

Under A Bushel.

There is a man who lives in my neighborhood who never waves.

That seems of minuet concern.

But where it seems catching, is that he is a man who never waves whose profession declares him a Christ-follower.

There's the children song, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine... Hide it under a bushel, NO!  I'm going to let it shine...."

So what I can't get past is that...  this man who never waves recites scripture, unpacks parables, KNOWS JESUS and yet never waves.

This man knows the joy of Jesus.  The hope of Jesus.  The love of Jesus.

And yet, he refuses to wave.

I have to wonder if he knows his reflection of Jesus....

"This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine..."  We sing this chorus over and over again, and I think the simplicity of it is what is hard sometimes for philosophers and theologians and thinkers to practice.

To shine can simply be to smile.

Surely, it can be so many other things, on so many levels.  It can be fresh bread baked or dogs walked or flowers planted or sermons preached.

But it simplest form, the light of Jesus can simply be acknowledging people as human, as worth the seconds of the day.

"Hide it under a bushel, NO!"

It's a choice to hide it under a bushel.  To choose the frown, to speak the gossip, to slander the co-worker, to not wave.

This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine.

And I'm going to wave.


No comments:

Post a Comment